A downloadable game for Windows
In Extremis is a fast-paced shoot'em up that aims to bring an engaging and fun experience to the player, while also experimenting with the nature of the language of videogames. With a swath of inspirations ranging from centuries-old mysticism to contemporary pop-culture, In Extremis suits itself for all kinds of players with smart level design and multiple ways of tackling challenges.
- Classic shoot'em up action that brings numerous new ideas to the genre, while also being accessible to newcomers.
- Eleven stages, each one with their own visual aesthetic and distinct set of mechanics. Fight through the domains of war, sex, nostalgia, fear, melancholy, and many more.
- Twelve different weapons, each one with their own subtleties and quirks, for the player to mix and match.
- An eclectic soundtrack, featuring rhythms from big band jazz to foot-thumping electronic jams to gentle piano ballads to trippy psychedelic rock.
- A mysterious narrative, as well as numerous secrets and surprises, await brave and inquisitive players.
Now we got the salesman pitch out of the way, let's get to the important stuff:
In Extremis was my first commercial game, released on Steam in the end of 2016; it took four years of dedicated work for it to come to fruition, as well as the collaboration of several artists and musicians.
It's not your regular game; each stage is unique on their own, including visuals, sound effects and gameplay systems; each moment of play has been exhaustively thought-out and planned.
The decision to release it on itch.io as a pay-what-you-want title stems from my desire to see it reach a wider audience, as well as paying respect to the countless free indie games from 2006-2012 era which inspired it.
|Published||11 days ago|
|Made with||GameMaker: Studio|
|Tags||Arcade, Bullet Hell, Experimental, High Score, psychedelic, Shoot 'Em Up|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Xbox controller|
|Links||Steam, Steam, Twitter, YouTube, Homepage|
Click download now to get access to the following files: